During several recent meeting, the Phelps County Commissioners:
• Heard from Sandy North, emergency preparedness director, who appeared before the commission and discussed updating the Courthouse Security Plan for evacuation during a fire alarm, bomb threat, or other need.
• Heard from Mark Brookshire, facilities manager, who advised that he has received bids for sidewalk repair. The commission awarded the low bidder of Pro Turf Excavation for the job, with a bid of $1,800.
• Authorized County Treasurer Carol Green to solicit bids on certificates of deposit in the amount of $2,425,000 for terms of six and 12 months. Bids are to be opened at 10 a.m. on Thursday, June 27, 2013.
• Approved engaging Burns & McDonald Engineering to make an application for a Bridge Engineering Assistance Program grant to perform a study on a bridge on Road 3620. Mark Huck, Burns & McDonald, appeared before the Commission and advised there are no funds available until July 1. Commissioners discussed possible repairs and replacements of low-water crossings.
• Heard from Road Superintendent Walter Snelson of the theft of fuel and tires from the Roads Department facility in Rolla. Snelson will file a report with the Rolla Police Department.
• Approved an amendment in the amount of $759 to increase the glass size in the collector’s security counter system.
• Approved a motion to retract the obligation of federal bridge funds for the bridge on Road 3260.
• Received the Phelps County Extension Center Financial Summary for May.
• Approved a contract between the Phelps County Collector and city of Newburg for the county to do tax collection for Newburg at a cost of two percent of the total amount of taxes and any accrued interest. One percent will to the Phelps County Collector and one percent will to the county revenue.
County Commissioners meet every Tuesday and Thursday at 9 a.m. at the Phelps County Courthouse in Rolla. All meetings are open to the public.