• Winner will receive free airfare from Southwest Airlines to Washington D.C. for a recognition ceremony
WASHINGTON – Today, Congressman Jason Smith announced the opening of the annual Eighth Congressional District Art Contest and invited high school students in Missouri’s Eighth Congressional District to participate in the contest. Contest entrees need to be submitted to one of Smith’s offices by Friday, April 25.
Each spring, this nationwide high school art competition recognizes and encourages artistic talent. Since the competition began in 1982, more than 650,000 high school students have participated. Students in grades 9-12 can submit original paintings, drawings, collages, mixed media, computer-generated art, and photographs. A panel of art experts will select a winning work of art to represent Missouri’s Eighth District. The art will be displayed on Capitol Hill for one year. In addition, the winner of the Eighth Congressional District Art Contest will receive free airfare to attend a national recognition reception in Washington D.C. held in June. “The Congressional Art Contest is a great way to recognize talented high school students in our Eighth Congressional District. In addition to being recognized locally, the winner of the contest will also be invited to Washington D.C. to attend a recognition ceremony and see their art displayed on Capitol Hill,” said Smith. “We hope to have participation from schools across our district. I encourage anyone who is interested in participating in the contest to contact my office.” Entrees must be submitted to one of Smith’s offices by Friday, April 25th. Artwork can be dropped off at:
· Cape Girardeau Office: 2502 Tanner Drive, Suite 205, Cape Girardeau, MO 63703, 573-335-0101
· Farmington Office: 22 East Columbia Street, Farmington, MO 63640, 573-756-9755
· Poplar Bluff Office: 2911 North Westwood Blvd., Suite C, Poplar Bluff, MO 63907, 573-778-6679
· Rolla Office: 830A South Bishop, Rolla, MO 65401, Rolla, MO 573-364-2455
· West Plains Office: 35 Court Square, Suite 300, West Plains, MO 417-255-1515