Fire damages home
The St. James Fire Protection District responded to a fire on February 28 at a local residence. At 10:45 a.m., emergency responders were notified of a fire at 411 East Scioto. Firefighters spent several hours bringing the blaze under control and have determined the fire was started due to a discarded cigarette.
It’s time again for the annual Kiwanis Club pancake breakfast on Saturday, March 15. Kiwanis members will be cooking pancakes for the community at St. James Middle School from 6:30 a.m. until noon,
Take a drive for seniors
Hutcheson Ford will be holding a special event to raise money for Project Graduation this Saturday. The Drive 4 UR School event was scheduled for last weekend, but due to the weather forecast, has been rescheduled for this weekend. Hutcheson hopes to raise as much as $6,000 for the 2013 St. James High School Project Graduation.
A candlelight vigil, which was scheduled for last Friday, has been rescheduled due to inclement weather. The vigil, held in honor of Hailey Owens will now be held on Friday, February, March 7 from 6 to 7 p.m. The vigil will be a chance for citizens of St. James to support the family of the young girl from Springfield, Missouri who was kidnapped and murdered.
Workers begin to raze building
Maggi Construction has begun demolition of a condemned building on West Washington Street. Work began over a week ago with workers cleaning up asbestos and now the building is being torn down. Despite a small delay because of the weather, demolition started this week and could be completed by April.
Trivia Night will allow Kiwanis to fund local programs
A St. James Kiwanis Club trivia night was held on February 15, resulting in the Nelson Hart Community Hall being filled with teams vying for the trivia title. The annual fundraiser brought in a net of $2,288, with another $975 from a silent auction, which will be put back into the community with programs conducted by the Kiwanis Club.