A fire in Steelville on Wednesday, December 18 destroyed the home of a family of six. Steelville Fire Protection District Chief Keith Young reported the family was at home when the fire started from the wood furnace, but everyone was able to exit the home safely.
The call went out to fire personnel at around 11 p.m. for the residence on Pine Branch Lane, off of Highway AA. Personnel from Steelville and Cuba fire departments responded, along with those from Steelville Ambulance. Young noted the single-story house had heavy fire in the attic area, and firefighters fought the blaze both inside and outside the structure. The home was deemed a total loss.
Young reported that Red Cross was called upon to help the family, and others made pleas for assistance on Facebook. If you can help, please call one of the following people: Rhonda Bennett (573-205-6670), Julie Wade (573-205-8562), or Lois Hollingshead (636-235-6459).
In addition to this residence fire, personnel with the Steelville Fire Protection District have responded to the following calls for service so far in the month of December:
- 12-1: EMS (Emergency Medical Services) assists on East Highway 8, and on West Highway 8.
- 12-2: Vehicle accident on East Highway 8, and a vehicle rescue on 7 Cedars Road.
- 12-3: Vehicle accident on East Highway 8.
- 12-4: EMS assist on West Hickory Ridge.
- 12-5: Vehicle accident on Highway U.
- 12-6: EMS assist on West Highway 8.
- 12-12: EMS assist on Industrial Drive.
- 12-13: Mutual aid – assist Cuba Fire at North Franklin Street (Midway fire).
- 12-16: Mobile home fire on Church Street.
- 12-17: EMS assist on Esther Street.
- 12-18: Vehicle accident on Birds Nest Road.