Hog manure and an improving environment are seldom, if ever, used in the same sentence. I was honored last week to be a media guest of Roeslein Alternative Energy, LLC at their north Missouri hog farm where they are successfully producing renewable natural gas from hog mature.
I hate to do this, but I am going to have to go out there and shoot one of my prettiest male cardinals. He has gone mad! I haven’t killed a songbird since I was 12, and I protested at the Melba theatre as a teenager when that movie “To Kill a Mockingbird” came out. I am an avid bird lover. I particularly love pheasant in a crock-pot and grilled mallard. But not cardinals, for cryin’ out loud.
• Investment will transform 150-acres of hayfields into a habitat for monarch butterflies, become model for pollinator conservation efforts in Missouri
Maramec Spring Park will soon become a haven for monarch butterflies, bees, and other pollinators in decline, as nearly 150 acres of park land are transformed into a massive pollinator habitat, thanks, in part, to a $20,000 grant announced on June 13.
Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) naturalists say snakes have a vital role in the wild and have tips to share on how to avoid negative snake encounters. Protective footwear, being aware of the surroundings and learning to identify snake species are the first steps toward protecting yourself as well as resident snakes.
Continued rains over the course of spring and early summer have brought record high water levels across the nation. The Ozarks have seen their share of flood waters as well. Despite the extended high water conditions, many area fishermen have managed to do well in between the high water events.
More Articles ...
- Outdoors Night at Busch Stadium encourages folks to get outside and explore nature
- MDC offers new 'Auto-Renewal' for easy online permit renewals
- Late Night Cathedral Cave Tours offered at Onondaga Cave State Park June 22
- Photography tours of Onondaga and Cathedral caves offered at Onondaga Cave State Park June 23